This piece was started about a year ago. Built it up…tore it down….built it up….tore it down. Got disgusted with it….researched rearing horses out the wazoo. Looked at 487 pictures of rearing horses. Set it aside for five months. Spent two weeks on it….set it aside again. Would sit in “my sculpture looking at chair” for hours, pondering this piece. Finally saw what was not working…..here is my best effort.
The clay, on the left, is headed to the foundry tomorrow. I thought it’d be fun to show how it will look as a completed bronze, with wood base and cast tag.
Almost every time I create a sculpture I cut the clay head off and sculpt it in my hands. It allows me to turn it and look at it from every angle. It assists me to be able to turn the head at will and see it from all perspectives.
If you look at the sculpture below, with the man on a horse, you’ll see the head ‘blocked in’. That’s the first draft. This morning,
I cut the head off and spent about 15 minutes creating this second draft.
I know I will have a minimum of five drafts on this head.
I spent sometime at the foundry today, “chasing wax”. When the wax pieces come out of the rubber molds….they often need touching up. This is a sculpture called Trail Boss (the head).
Sculpted in March of 2011